Monday, May 11, 2009

Returning to work

Good morning and Happy Day after Mother’s Day

I’m sorry I didn’t post last week, but it was an extremely stressful week for me.

First, I returned to work after being off for 5 weeks. If you don’t think that was stressful, try stepping away from your job for 5 weeks with no one filling in and then go back! I had over 1500 e-mails to check out first thing. Almost 90% of those e-mails had to be logged in, and information from them had to be manually copied and posted to various logs. Then I was back only 2 days and I got 2 new projects assigned to me. My Boss told me he had been holding them for when I came back because he knew I could do them with a minimum of supervision, and could provide direction to the others on my team. Gee thanks, Boss!

Actually, returning to work was a wonderful thing, for several reasons. First, because getting out of the house and doing something constructive has made me begin to feel stronger, and my lack of strength was something that was really beginning to bother me. I’ve always been a strong woman, and not being able to do those things that I usually can was bugging me. The other reason, was because it confirmed that I was missed, needed, and still had a job. In these trying economic times that is always a concern.

Went to see my surgeon for my second post-op appointment. He is pleased with my progress overall, but he wants me to get more exercise. I told him that now that I’m back at work I’ll be getting at least 6 blocks of walking in daily. It’s 3 blocks from where I park to my building, so I figure going to and from will be a big improvement. I’m also going this week to check out a new Gym in the neighborhood. It’s called Planet Fitness. The price is right, the location is right, and if it’s pleasing on the inside I’ll probably join just so I have someplace to get some exercise on the weekends. Besides I think I might be a little more consistent with exercise other than walking if I’m paying for it.

Now for the statistics….I’ve lost another inch on my neck, another 2 inches on my hips, but, unfortunately nothing on the waist. Surgeon says that is probably due to the size of the cyst on my kidney. It isn’t shrinking as I loose weight. I can tell the difference between my right and left sides. The cyst makes my left side look larger, and feel harder. The right side really shows the weight loss, and everything seems to be much mushier. You know, when you are heavy your belly feels kinda hard, but when you loose it gets soft and almost mushy? Well I have the hard on the left and the mushy on the right. I haven’t started buying new clothes yet, so you can’t tell, but I can feel it. Surgeon says I should contact my kidney doctor and see about having it drained. The kidney doctor said that was a possibility back last year when I saw him. I may do that, depending on what happens next Friday.

Next Friday has the other stressor for me, and the big news for you. Last Friday I had biopsies taken from my right breast and the lymph node under my arm. This coming Friday I will receive the results on whether or not I have cancer. Strangely I was more afraid of the biopsies than I was of the cancer verdict. I guess that’s because about 30 years ago (when I was pregnant with my younger daughter) the OB/GYN discovered that I had the beginnings of uterine cancer. He wanted me to have an abortion and immediate hysterectomy. I said not only no but HELL NO. I carried my daughter almost full term, but in the 7th month of my pregnancy the cancer started to grow, and we decided to do a hysterectomy near the middle of the 8th month. So I checked into the hospital, and a couple days later I had a beautiful baby girl, and no more baby-factory.

Anyway, I’ve faced the Big C scare already, and weathered the storm. Even more than that, my faith will sustain me. I truly believe that whatever is God’s will for me, will be completed, and I know both from experience and from His Word that He won’t give me more to deal with than I can handle with him. So, next Friday I get the word. Either way, I’m confident that it will work out, and I’m not scared.

Younger daughter LH wants more pictures, and some full body shots, so I’ll try to get someone to take some this week. Then you’all will see what 55 pounds of weight loss looks like on me. Mostly I think it shows in my face, but you will be able to judge.

Till Friday, or perhaps next weekend, I’ll be loosing weight and praising God for ALL his blessings.

Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment