The first post to this blog was written 7 days ago, just before my adventure began. I didn't get to post it until Friday (5 days after surgery). This is my first update.
The surgery itself wasn't a problem at all. My surgeon had said from the outset that he did not even want me uncomfortable during this process, and he was good to his word. The only discomfort I had to deal with was the binder around my middle, which was to support things internally while I recovered. It was too tight, and cut off my urine flow. After 12 hours I was really "full of Piss and Vinegar" and very uncomfortable. My RN suggested a catheter, which I gladly agreed to, and once it was in place, I filled one bag and half of a second in less than 10 minutes....Talk about needing to Pee!
The remainder of my hospital stay was wonderful. I slept, and was wakened for food, breathing treatments, and walking around the floor. No stress, no responsibilities, and as much sleep as I could endure. Since I was on a morphine pump, every time I woke up, I hit the button, and pretty soon I was snoring again....I tell ya it was great!
Finally reality had to set in, and on Thursday morning the doctor said "It's time to head home"... You have never seen a more disappointed woman than I was.
After removing all the tubes and wires from my body, I was headed home. My boyfriend picked me up, and got me safely home and tucked into my own little bed. I went back to sleep. (Hey, even after they take away the morphine pump there's a whole lot left in your system.) I stayed crashed for most of that first day.
Second day home (that's last Friday) I was up and at 'em early. 6:30 a.m. does qualify for early doesn't it? Spend most of the day trying to remember to drink. Water is ordinarily my favorite drink, and putting away 2 gallons in a day is no trouble. When your stomach suddenly goes to the size of your thumb, you discover quickly that you can't handle more than a swallow or two at a time, and at that rate, 56 ounces takes a while. Fifty-Six ounces is the goal for someone with gastric bypass surgery because you have to stay hydrated, and sipping is the only way to accomplish this amount.
Watched a lot more TV than I normally do, and spent a long time in my recliner, but my BF was there with me, and he took good care of me, so I had nothing to complain about.
Spent about an hour on-line checking e-mails, and setting up this blog.
Now for the statistics....
First week.... Total Pounds Lost are eight - yep that's right a little over a pound a day.
I've completely stopped my diabetes meds, and my blood sugars are staying between 130 and 160. Sounds high until you discover that my usual counts before surgery were 225-245, and that was taking 3 meds a day. So I'm thrilled.
Blood Pressure is staying down with only 1 med twice daily, instead of 2 meds twice daily, so that's cut in half.
All in all, not bad. I'm off for my shower, and perhaps a short trip to the local flea market for an outing, to reassure me that there really are people out there. Take care and I'll see you again soon.
Kate
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment