Well, here it is, 2 weeks past surgery. I feel fine (except a bad case of gout), and things are progressing nicely.
I’m on “real” food already. My nutritionist graduated me from clear liquids to “mushy proteins” last week. Getting used to eating again has been a real experiment. First, Mushy Proteins are things like, broiled fish, baked or broiled dark meat chicken, eggs, cottage cheese, and some vegetables. My first meal was very successful in that I was able to eat it and keep it down. AV (my boyfriend) took me out to my favorite café, where he ordered grilled tilapia, steamed vegetables, black eyed peas and a salad. I ordered an extra plate, empty of course. Our waitress is a friend of mine, and she was excited to see me out an about only 1 week post surgery.
When the dinner came for AV and my plate came I took a small piece of the tilapia, about 1 inch long, ½ inch wide and ¼ inch thick. To that generous portion I added a sliver of tomato, no skin, 3 black-eyed peas that I mashed, a slice of yellow squash and one of zucchini. With all the careful chewing I did, and no drinking, it took me almost 45 minutes to eat that meal. Believe me, I savored each bite. I was so full when finished I had to go right home and lie down. I still can’t imagine that small amount filling me up so completely, but it did. I was full for almost 4 hours too, which was really pleasant. We are going to save a fortune when we go out. As long as the restaurant staff understands about the empty plate everything will be great.
That was last Tuesday. I’ve been out to eat at least once a day since. AV loves going out, and so do I so it’s been a real joy. We’ve eaten sea food (I had one small shrimp, some fresh spinach, (don’t recommend this to anyone in their first week of food) Scrambled egg with some grated Parmesan cheese sprinkled over the top, and oatmeal, with Splenda and fat free milk, of course not all at the same time. Everything has been truly wonderful and I’ve discovered something very important over this week. That is “eating” isn’t just shoveling food down my throat, nor is it a race to see who can finish a huge plate of food the quickest. Eating, for me now, is a sensual experience of tastes, and textures, moving across my tongue, insinuating themselves into my senses, and finally filling my pouch (stomach). I’ve learned to take my time and enjoy every bite, no matter how small. Prawns in garlic butter sauce have a very different flavor from lobster tail in the same sauce.
I’ve also learned that pasta is not my friend, even when coated with cheese and used as a “protein”. I discovered this past week that dumping is not pleasant, and I’ll try very hard to not experience that again. Avocadoes, although Mushy, are still very high in fats and they don’t sit well, while tomatoes, melt in your mouth, quite literally, when cut into small pieces, and the skin is not eaten.
Statistics for my first week with food are:
Sugars – 136 and I have not taken diabetes medicines since leaving the hospital.
Blood pressure is running around 125 to 130 over 72 – I am taking BP meds, but only one versus the three I was taking pre surgery
Weight – Now I know that this is a clincher for some folks, but actually for me the last reason for the surgery…I weighed in at the hospital the day after surgery and that blasted scale told me I weighed 226 (of course I was down from 235 two weeks prior to surgery).
This morning I weighed 206! That’s 20 pounds in 2 weeks! I’ve never been able to do this before. I’m not hungry most of the time, and when I am hungry a very small meal fills me up, and I’ve learned the hard way to keep it very small. My best friend so far has been sugar free popsicles. I suck down a couple a day, and they count as fluids.
My doctor and the hospital nursing staff stressed over and over to keep hydrated. In fact they set me a goal of 52 ounces daily, just to keep my body hydrated. I discovered that those little ice pitchers they give you in the hospital hold about 32 ounces of water, and I’ve been putting away at least three of those daily, so hydration isn’t a problem. Add to that the hot caffeine free tee and coffee I’ve been drinking, and I go way over the 52 ounces.
My favorite “eat at home” meal is two teaspoons of small curd fat free cottage cheese, mixed with a hard boiled egg that has been mushed very small, with ¼ tsp of Fat Free margarine. Sprinkle over that a small amount of salt and pepper (yes I did say pepper) and enjoy. Lots of protein, very satisfying flavors, and very easy on the pouch, especially when eaten very slowly.
I have my first “well Baby” check this week. I go in on Thursday to see what the doc has to say to me. I’m hopeful that he will be pleased with my progress. I’m remembering to take my supplements, stay hydrated, and eat lots of protein. Hopefully I will be given permission to start drinking some kind of protein supplement as well. I really don’t want to loose my hair, and from everything I’ve read and heard that is the symptom of not enough protein. My doc says that even if I do loose some of my hair (and I really don’t have any extra to loose) a year post surgery my body will have adjusted to the changes, and my hair will have come out again. I’m hoping that the hair won’t fall out at all and a year later I’ll have regained some of what I lost when too heavy.
I’ve had a few visitors this past week. KJ (My eldest daughter), my Mom and MH (my youngest sister. Of course AV has been here almost every day since surgery, and he practically moved in the first four days after surgery. Everyone says I look like I’ve dropped a lot of weight already, and MH says I’ve regained part of my figure. She also says I finally have boobs again, rather than just this huge tummy. I’ve received very nice news when preparing for Church yesterday. My clothing that is size 22/24 just hangs on me, and When I tried a dress that is a 20 it was slightly loose, but looked presentable.
So to sum things up for this week’s post, I’ve lost 20 pounds, 2 chins, 3 dress sizes, and learned to savor my food, all in 2 weeks. What a life change! See you after the doctors appointment.
Kate
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment