Hi All
I’m sorry it’s been so long since I posted. It wasn’t for things to say, just for the energy to get up and post.
The weight loss is continuing. I’m up to 68 pounds gone now. This morning it was official. I now weigh in at 172, that’s the least I have weighed since 1997. Actually since before that. In 1997 I weighed in at 175 when I came home from Nebraska, and I hadn’t weighed that little since before my kids were born, so it’s been at least since 1977 that I was this light. I gotta tell you that it feels strange. I get dressed in the morning and it takes me at least 3 tries. I go to the closet and choose something, and then put it on only to find when I step in front of the mirror that it’s way too big. So it’s back to the closet again for another try. After 3 tries I go with the last decision and head out the door. Sometimes the clothes fit, but most of the time they are very big on me. I really should go shopping. Just hate to spend money only to have the clothes too big in a couple of weeks. Maybe it’s time to go to Good Will or Salvation Army.
Now to the fight against cancer. The first round of chemo was a real learning experience.
First, the chemo treatment itself isn’t bad. Just like having an IV and they pump you full of anti-nausea drugs first, so you’re already primed to be great when they push the chemo. I had only one problem with nausea and that was because I ate entirely too much one night, and ate it real fast so caused myself some dumping. IF I will stay with the bypass rules I don’t have that problem.
The meds I’m taking seem to keep the worst of the nausea at bay, and that’s great. My only problem during the first round of chemo was to remember when to take the pills. I took some twice daily when I got up and when I went to bed. Only problem with those are when my bed times change. If I go to bed early I have to set an alarm to wake me to take the meds. Getting up isn’t as much of a problem as going to bed early.
Next I have one that must be melted in my mouth. That one seemed to work fine the first day or two, but by the end of the first week it was making me so nauseous to take that one that I quit to see how I would do. I did much better so I decided to ignore that med and I had less problems. When I told my oncologist about that, he said “don’t take them” and I told him I had quit and he said good.
The final med is in pill form and I take two every 6 hours. Now you can’t ask for anything easier than that. At 6 and 12 I take two pills. Easy to remember, easy to do, and I’m usually awake around those times. Nice.
Had my second round of chemo last week on Friday (6/19/09) The port worked well for me that time, and I sat there in the treatment chair, feet up, covered with a warm blanket, a drink by my side, and read a book. Now that truly is easy.
I told my oncologist that if this was what Chemo is all about I could do it with one hand tied behind my back and both eyes closed. He laughed. He does think I’m doing much better than he expected me to. He credits a large part of that to my attitude. I’m very positive about this treatment, and it’s not going to get me down.
I do seem to need more sleep now than I did before starting Chemo. That shows up in days 4 through 14 usually. Then on day 15 I start to regain my strength and want to do something other than sleep. Those 10 days I’m sleeping more than awake. I go to work, get my job done and get home as soon as possible. I stretch out in my recliner, by the fan in my living room and drop right off to sleep. Em wakes me when it’s time to take meds, or go to bed. Otherwise I sleep soundly until the alarm wakes me to go back to work. I’ve even fallen asleep at my desk a couple of times. I told my boss about it, and he’s very understanding.
Only 3 more treatments to go and I will start the Radiation therapy. Have no idea what all that will entail, but I’ve heard more horror stories about the Chemo, so am hopeful that the radiation will go well.
My bariatric surgeon ordered a blood nutrition study last week. I got the results and they were all excellent. Even the oncologist (I showed him a copy) was thrilled. Evidently the supplements are helping keep me going while in Chemo. I’m so blessed that I had that surgery first.
Oh, and I had my first experience with hair loss last week. I ran my fingers through my hair and came out with a hand full of hair. None of that for me! I went to the beauty shop and had my head shaved. I love the bald look, and evidently others think it looks good too. I can’t tell you how many people have said I had the right shaped head to be bald; I even heard from several people that it makes me look younger.
I’m pairing the bald head with chunky earrings and hats and scarves, and having fun with the new look. Only thing I don’t like about being bald is it’s cold. I didn’t realize how much body temperature is regulated by your hair, or lack thereof. Sure my hair was thinning even before Chemo, but now that I have no hair, I notice I’m cold a lot more easily than I used to be.
Well, that’s about all I can share with you right now. Going to be time for a nap real soon.
Kate
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment