Woo Hooo!
This morning I broke the dreaded 200 pound mark! Got up, weighed in and almost fainted. It’s been almost 12 years since I weighed less than 200 pounds. Congratulate me, I’m now 198!
Yes, it’s only 2 pounds below, but when you consider that I was 236 in 12/28/08 and on surgery day I was 226, that’s a lot to loose in 3 weeks.
I was talking to KJ the other day, and she said something that shocked me, and rang so true it gave me one of those Ah Ha moments. She’s over 30 (just a bit) and she said to me, “Ya know, Mom, I’ve never seen you skinny.” That got me to thinking, my children have always known me overweight, my nieces and nephews have too. Most of my friends have only known me as overweight as well. In fact, the only non-sibling/family member who has ever seen me weighing in below 150 is my best friend DS. She and I have been friends forever and she can remember when I was “small”. Even then I was overweight, but only about 30 pounds, so it was just a little “Pudgy”.
We’ve introduced “real” food into my diet and so far I’ve only had one episode of “dumping”. I’m now eating chicken, and fish, and I plan to introduce lean pork into the diet today. My old standbys of eggs and cottage cheese have been relegated to the back of the fridge for now. They have become my comfort food, if I still have such a thing. Now comfort food means food I know my pouch can handle, and I turn to them when I’ve stressed my pouch earlier in the day, I’m hungry and don’t want to eat, but know I need to.
The hardest part of this life change so far is learning to recognize when I’m really hungry. I want to eat often, especially when watching TV and every other commercial is something that looks scrumptious. I find my self getting what I call head hungry. My teeth want to chew, my mouth wants something sweet, or salty…and I think of all those old foods I would scarf down, just to solve those urges. Now I handle things a little differently. First, I watch less TV, and that cuts out the visual temptations…no more brownies, with running hot fudge sauce, no more Bar-B-Q with meat juices running from fatty meats, and especially no more contented cows producing ice cream with enough fat in it to cause me gastric distress.
Now, IF I have some head hunger, I do things like chew one of my multi-vitamins (I take them twice a day), or a calcium supplement (also chewable and sweet, three times daily), or take an iron pill, that just happens to be fruity and delicious. All these are really good, and good for me. If those don’t suffice, or it isn’t time for a supplement, I’ve always got my sugar free desserts, like jello, or a popsicle. All of these things are satisfying, and they take care of head hunger very nicely.
When I am truly hungry I have several meals made up ahead of time and stored in covered containers in the fridge. Take one out, pop it in the microwave, nuke for 3 minutes or less, and voila’ I have a delicious meal, hot and ready to eat. One of my favorites is my crustless pizza. I love pizza, always have, and probably always will. So in a couple of my little “quick meal” containers I have placed about half an ounce of cooked chicken, usually dark meat, but sometimes white, 2 tablespoons of my favorite spaghetti or pizza sauce, and an ounce of grated parmesan cheese. It’s easy to know how much of something I’m having because I went to my local restaurant a couple of times and ordered meals, then asked for small takeout containers. They serve grated cheese in 1 oz plastic containers, and several kinds of sauces and gravys in 2 oz plastic containers. The containers come with tight fitting lids, and they are microwaveable. I brought these home, and after eating the contents I wash them out, and reuse them for my quick at-home meals. Also found some small egg cups with lids. I measure with the restaurant containers, and store the meals in the egg cups. Everything is reusable, so I’m living green as well.
Two days ago I went shopping for the first time since surgery. That is I went clothing shopping. Now this was a real adventure. I started looking in the 22/24 size racks, and tried on a couple of outfits to find them hanging off me like a tent from a pole. So… I went down to the 20/22 rack. Those fit a little better, but were still too big. (Imagine my amazement at that, I’ve worn 22/24 for over 10 years) I settled on the 18/20 Women’s sizes, and low and behold I’ve found 3 new dresses, and 2 new around the house sun dresses. Then I decided to get some new panties….Went down a whole size and they are a bit loose. Imagine I’ll be down another size there as well by next month.
Weight loss is slowing a bit now that I’m putting solid nourishment into my body. There’s nothing like a clear liquid diet to take off pounds quickly. Problem is it’s not very nourishing, and if you’ve not had gastric bypass it’s not at all satisfying. I’ll settle for 5 to 10 pounds a week and eating small meals of real food, rather than 10-18 pounds and only clear liquids.
As I started this blog saying, I’m in this for the health improvements rather than the weight loss. I have some good news on that front as well. My blood sugars are down below 120 consistently, and have gone almost to 110 on a couple of occasions. I haven’t had diabetes medicines since leaving the hospital. My blood pressure is holding at a “normal” level, and I’ve had no sign of acid reflux since the day before surgery. My gout is getting better every day, even though I’m eating basically only protein. Haven’t had my cholesterol tested since surgery, but I’m hoping it is much better as well.
I guess that I’m saying basically I’m getting healthier every day! That is such a blessing I just don’t really know how to wrap myself around it. I still think of myself as diabetic. I know I’m not, but I was for so long that it’s instinct to react as if I still am. Of course that’s not a bad thing since I shouldn’t have sugar, my pouch doesn’t know how to handle it, but I can if I want to. I just don’t want to. There are so many good things to eat out there that don’t contain sugar, why cause myself discomfort when I don’t need to?
Well, I’ve wandered around for long enough today. I’m going back to work in 7 days, and I’m eagerly awaiting my co-workers reactions to my changes. I’ll let you know how it goes.
This morning I broke the dreaded 200 pound mark! Got up, weighed in and almost fainted. It’s been almost 12 years since I weighed less than 200 pounds. Congratulate me, I’m now 198!
Yes, it’s only 2 pounds below, but when you consider that I was 236 in 12/28/08 and on surgery day I was 226, that’s a lot to loose in 3 weeks.
I was talking to KJ the other day, and she said something that shocked me, and rang so true it gave me one of those Ah Ha moments. She’s over 30 (just a bit) and she said to me, “Ya know, Mom, I’ve never seen you skinny.” That got me to thinking, my children have always known me overweight, my nieces and nephews have too. Most of my friends have only known me as overweight as well. In fact, the only non-sibling/family member who has ever seen me weighing in below 150 is my best friend DS. She and I have been friends forever and she can remember when I was “small”. Even then I was overweight, but only about 30 pounds, so it was just a little “Pudgy”.
We’ve introduced “real” food into my diet and so far I’ve only had one episode of “dumping”. I’m now eating chicken, and fish, and I plan to introduce lean pork into the diet today. My old standbys of eggs and cottage cheese have been relegated to the back of the fridge for now. They have become my comfort food, if I still have such a thing. Now comfort food means food I know my pouch can handle, and I turn to them when I’ve stressed my pouch earlier in the day, I’m hungry and don’t want to eat, but know I need to.
The hardest part of this life change so far is learning to recognize when I’m really hungry. I want to eat often, especially when watching TV and every other commercial is something that looks scrumptious. I find my self getting what I call head hungry. My teeth want to chew, my mouth wants something sweet, or salty…and I think of all those old foods I would scarf down, just to solve those urges. Now I handle things a little differently. First, I watch less TV, and that cuts out the visual temptations…no more brownies, with running hot fudge sauce, no more Bar-B-Q with meat juices running from fatty meats, and especially no more contented cows producing ice cream with enough fat in it to cause me gastric distress.
Now, IF I have some head hunger, I do things like chew one of my multi-vitamins (I take them twice a day), or a calcium supplement (also chewable and sweet, three times daily), or take an iron pill, that just happens to be fruity and delicious. All these are really good, and good for me. If those don’t suffice, or it isn’t time for a supplement, I’ve always got my sugar free desserts, like jello, or a popsicle. All of these things are satisfying, and they take care of head hunger very nicely.
When I am truly hungry I have several meals made up ahead of time and stored in covered containers in the fridge. Take one out, pop it in the microwave, nuke for 3 minutes or less, and voila’ I have a delicious meal, hot and ready to eat. One of my favorites is my crustless pizza. I love pizza, always have, and probably always will. So in a couple of my little “quick meal” containers I have placed about half an ounce of cooked chicken, usually dark meat, but sometimes white, 2 tablespoons of my favorite spaghetti or pizza sauce, and an ounce of grated parmesan cheese. It’s easy to know how much of something I’m having because I went to my local restaurant a couple of times and ordered meals, then asked for small takeout containers. They serve grated cheese in 1 oz plastic containers, and several kinds of sauces and gravys in 2 oz plastic containers. The containers come with tight fitting lids, and they are microwaveable. I brought these home, and after eating the contents I wash them out, and reuse them for my quick at-home meals. Also found some small egg cups with lids. I measure with the restaurant containers, and store the meals in the egg cups. Everything is reusable, so I’m living green as well.
Two days ago I went shopping for the first time since surgery. That is I went clothing shopping. Now this was a real adventure. I started looking in the 22/24 size racks, and tried on a couple of outfits to find them hanging off me like a tent from a pole. So… I went down to the 20/22 rack. Those fit a little better, but were still too big. (Imagine my amazement at that, I’ve worn 22/24 for over 10 years) I settled on the 18/20 Women’s sizes, and low and behold I’ve found 3 new dresses, and 2 new around the house sun dresses. Then I decided to get some new panties….Went down a whole size and they are a bit loose. Imagine I’ll be down another size there as well by next month.
Weight loss is slowing a bit now that I’m putting solid nourishment into my body. There’s nothing like a clear liquid diet to take off pounds quickly. Problem is it’s not very nourishing, and if you’ve not had gastric bypass it’s not at all satisfying. I’ll settle for 5 to 10 pounds a week and eating small meals of real food, rather than 10-18 pounds and only clear liquids.
As I started this blog saying, I’m in this for the health improvements rather than the weight loss. I have some good news on that front as well. My blood sugars are down below 120 consistently, and have gone almost to 110 on a couple of occasions. I haven’t had diabetes medicines since leaving the hospital. My blood pressure is holding at a “normal” level, and I’ve had no sign of acid reflux since the day before surgery. My gout is getting better every day, even though I’m eating basically only protein. Haven’t had my cholesterol tested since surgery, but I’m hoping it is much better as well.
I guess that I’m saying basically I’m getting healthier every day! That is such a blessing I just don’t really know how to wrap myself around it. I still think of myself as diabetic. I know I’m not, but I was for so long that it’s instinct to react as if I still am. Of course that’s not a bad thing since I shouldn’t have sugar, my pouch doesn’t know how to handle it, but I can if I want to. I just don’t want to. There are so many good things to eat out there that don’t contain sugar, why cause myself discomfort when I don’t need to?
Well, I’ve wandered around for long enough today. I’m going back to work in 7 days, and I’m eagerly awaiting my co-workers reactions to my changes. I’ll let you know how it goes.

No comments:
Post a Comment