Now that’s a nice way to start a post to my blog. Yep, I’m 4 weeks post surgery and I’ve lost more than 40 pounds to date. I went to see my Primary Care Physician yesterday. She was thrilled at my progress. But not so thrilled that she just sent me home. Nope, she sent me to the lab for some blood tests.
She’s checking on my blood chemistry, and wants to know what my 3-month average blood sugars are. I don’t know how they can take blood from me today and look backwards 3 months, but she’s been getting these tests for a lot of years, and they seem to satisfy her. She also wants my cholesterol count, and I’m sort of excited to have that done. I’d like to know what it is now as well.
It’s strange that I’ve lost close to 50 pounds, and I’m still wearing most the same clothes, my bras still fit, and although they are a bit loose, so do my panties. I keep thinking that 40 pounds should make a big difference. I guess this is why people never guessed my weight to be as high as it was. I can see my weight loss is small ways though, so I keep being encouraged. Stepping on the scale every day also helps. Even on those days when I don’t show a loss, or much of one, I’m encouraged. Only once have I stepped on the scale and weighed more than the day before, and that was only 2 pounds. I didn’t let that bother me because my weight has always fluctuated like that. There was a time when I could gain 10 pounds in a day and loose it all over night. Of course, I was drinking almost 2 gallons of water every day, and working out a lot, so the scales were not my friend back then.
Last Friday I got a call from my surgeon’s office. Seems my disability people had contacted his office to see if I could be released back to work this coming Friday. The surgeons office called me to see how I was feeling. After talking to me for about 15 minutes I was told that they were not going to release me for another couple of weeks. I’m not really ready to return, but it seems that the disability department tries to get folks back at work as quickly as possible. Can’t really blame them for that, but I’m mot ready for work yet. I’m still not able to sit for any long time, and my work is very sedentary. The surgeon is going to call disability back and try to get a couple more weeks for me. I’m hoping to hear from them today.
It’s Fiesta week here in SA. I watched the River Parade last night on TV. There are three main parades during this 10 day Fiesta period. We have the kick off River Parade. Lovely floats that actually “float” down the river. Thousands of people come out to line the river banks, buy tickets to sit at the outdoor theatre and watch as they float by. The river runs between the stage and the audience in that theatre.
Then we have a day time parade this coming Friday. It winds it’s way through down town, and the city sets up bleachers along the route. There are plenty of areas where people can stand on the sidewalks and street corners and watch without paying as well. When I was a kid, my father was with the Red Cross, and these “land” parades were a reason to come and pass out glasses of water to the marchers as they passed. Kept them hydrated, and kept 4 little girls who were excited and very active, busy. Of course we worked out of an ambulance on loan from the Army, and Dad and Mom were there to help out if there was an emergency.
It was in the back of one of those Army Ambulances that I first witnessed the birth of a child. I was in my teens, and a lady came out to the parade who was very pregnant! (yeah, I’ve heard there are no degrees of pregnant, you either are or you aren’t). Anyway, about half way through the parade she goes into labor, and we were so blocked in that the ambulance could not get out. So Dad puts her into the back, closes the doors and pulls the shades, and gave the poor woman some privacy. I guess he thought it would be a while before she delivered, and so we waited, with her there. Pretty soon it was obvious that she was going to delivery very quickly, and so Dad decides to get her out to a hospital, no matter what. Mom had my three sisters and a couple of neighbor kids outside the ambulance. I volunteered to sit inside with the lady. Dad turned on lights and siren and slowly made his way through the crowd, promising to get back to Mom as soon as possible. Off we went toward the hospital.
Fortunately I had taken lots of training in Red Cross First Aid, and had sat through a couple of prepared child birth movies, so when that adorable little girl decided to make her entrance, I was there to “catch” her, and had the things necessary to help get her ready for the hospital. By the time we got there, she was happily wrapped in my sweater (army blankets are wool and too scratchy), and she and Mom were ready for the nurses. What an adventure!
The final parade of Fiesta is called the Flambeau. It’s a night parade, and all the floats are lighted. Many of those are lighted with torches, rather than electric lights. They follow the same route as the day parade, but it’s so much more magical. The bands march, and many have small lights on their uniforms, many of the twirlers who march with the bands twirl fire batons, the floats themselves have lights and even flairs. You watch the eyes of the children in the audience and you can truly believe in magic. It’s a beautiful parade, and a wonderful way to end 10 days of celebrating.
Now, to my vitals, I’m sleeping for longer periods of time. When I first came home from the hospital I slept for about 2 hours then was up for 2 and then back down for another 2. Try as I might I couldn’t get more than 2 hours at a time. I’ve gradually worked up to sleeping about 4.5 or 5 hours then up for 10 or so and back down for another 4 or 5. I must admit the extra hours sleeping have helped me feel better.
I got on the scale today and I’m down to 192! It’s so wonderful to see that. I’ve been so heavy for so long. Yes, I do know that 192 on a lady who is 5’4” is still heavy, but compare that to the 258 I was a couple of years ago, and it’s a miracle. Even compare it to just pre surgery of 236 and it’s wonderful. My blood pressure was 130/80 yesterday at the doctors office and that is with taking only 1 med twice daily. Doc says when I loose another 15 pounds I should try only taking the one med at bedtime and see how that works. My sugars are still hovering around 115 to 120. I’m eating! Real food! Still not a lot, but more than last week, and the weight continues to come off, so it must be enough! At least I’m not hungry.
Going to start walking in the mornings this week. Think I’ll get out around 7:30 and see how far I can get in half an hour. Then the next week up that, and perhaps by the time I’m back at work I can walk during my lunch hour and keep things up to snuff. I used to walk 20 or so blocks at a leisurely pace at lunchtime 3 times a week and that seemed to keep things in good order. Perhaps I can work back up to that.
Well, it’s time to go water my garden. You have a wonderful day.
Kate
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

That's amazing! You're on a role now.
ReplyDelete